Historically, Lower Falls was first region of Wellesley settled by European colonists. Given the large drop in the elevation of the Charles River – hence, the name ‘Lower Falls’ — this area became the site of industrial activity as early as the first decade of the 1700s. By the mid-1800s, this village had become one of the largest paper manufacturers in the entire country. By the mid-20th Century, however, most of the factories had closed and Lower Falls began a long period of redevelopment. Today, the area is largely the site of commercial activity and office buildings. There are still, however, a significant number of pre-1900 homes at its western edge near St. John’s Church, as well as on the other side of the Charles River in Newton Lower Falls.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.